Dr. Morice is a top tubal reversal surgeon and infertility doctor in Morgan City, LA. Up to 14% of couples experience infertility. Fortunately, Atchafalaya Obstetrics and Gynecology offers a variety of infertility treatments suited to each couple’s needs.
We also offer tubal ligation reversal surgery.
There are many myths shared about infertility. We are here to dispel 5 of the most common infertility myths.
- It’s the woman’s fault: Many women feel it is their fault if they are having trouble getting pregnant. However, 35% of infertility problems are due to a female problem, and 35% are due to a male problem. 20% of infertility cases are caused by both male and female problems, and 10% are caused by an unknown factor. Therefore, infertility is just as likely to be caused by the woman as it is to be caused by the man.
- Getting pregnant is easy for everyone else. 1 in 10 couples experience infertility. Few couples talk about it because it is a sensitive issue. Don’t be embarrassed if you are having troubles conceiving.
- My weight does not matter. It has long been known that obesity can adversely affect ovulation which can decrease the chances of conception. However, a recent study found that even obese women who ovulate regularly were 43% less likely to conceive than normal weight or overweight women. It’s unclear how being obese affects fertility, but is definitely plays a part. To determine if you are obese, calculate your BMI using this BMI calculator. If your BMI is between 18.5 and 25, you are considered normal weight, 26-29 is overweight, and 30 and above is obese.
- If we could relax, you’d get pregnant immediately. While stress can contribute to problems conceiving, it is not the only factor. And for many couples, it’s not a factor at all. Infertility is most often caused by physical problems of the reproductive system. Therefore, relaxing will help you feel better, but it won’t always help you conceive.
- We should try for a full year before considering treatment. Infertility is typically diagnosed when a couple has not conceived after trying for a year. However, it’s a good idea for high risk couples to get evaluated as soon as they start trying to get pregnant. If you are over 35 or either partner suffers from any reproductive issues you should consult with your doctor as soon as possible.
If you are interesting in a consultation, contact our office at (985)702-BABY or firstname.lastname@example.org. We also offer free tubal reversal consultations.